Spring semester is here, which means that it’s time for another round of auditions! If you want to be the next member of SK, sign up for an audition slot here. Auditions will run from Monday, Feb. 11 to Wednesday, Feb. 13. Check below for details and feel free to contact our musical director Charmaine with any questions.
- – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - -
F r e q u e n t l y A s k e d Q u e s t i o n s
- – - – - - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – - – -
What can I expect at auditions?
Auditions last 15 minutes and consist of a few different parts:
1) Scales: We will have you sing up and down in your range in a series of scales with the piano. In addition to warming you up, this will give us a chance to get a sense of your range.
2) Chords: After you’ve warmed up, our music director will play a series of chords and ask you to identify and sing a particular note within the chord. Our goal here is to see how well you can hear how notes fit together within a chord.
3) Pitch-Matching: Next, our music director will play a few sequences of notes on a piano that you will be asked to sing back to the group. This will help us see how well you can hear pitches relative to each other.
4) Swells: Then, the music director will give you a few notes, one at a time, to sustain at higher and lower volumes. Here’s where you can show off the power and control of your voice.
5) Solo: Now comes the most fun part of the audition. Pick a song and rock out!
What solo should I pick?
In general, SK has a contemporary repertoire – a top-40’s feel – but we enjoy watching people who love what they’re singing. Pick something you like, that you know well, and that you are extremely comfortable with. We like to hear roughly a verse and chorus of any song (about 30 seconds) as long as it shows off the strong points of your voice.
Can I ask for a starting note?
How should I prepare for my audition?
We recommend warming up before your audition. Although we’ll help you warm-up during the audition itself, it’s always good practice to sing some scales and go through your solo before arriving!
How often does SK rehearse?
We normally have three 2-hour long rehearsals every week, often later at night so that rehearsals don’t conflict with class schedules or other extra-curricular activities.
I want to do other things on campus (join clubs, play sports, etc…) – will I have enough time for SK?
Absolutely! Shere Khan has members who (on top of singing) join dance/theater groups, play club and varsity sports, work campus jobs, have time-consuming majors, or do some combination of all the above. Before each semester, we look at everyone’s schedules and decide on rehearsal times that work for all of us.
- – - – -
If you have any other questions about the audition process, feel free to email our Music Director Charmaine ’14.